Balloon Collaboration
December 10, 2019, 10:25:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: DaddyB, Larry and Dan are your administrators...Private message for any problems or issues with the Forum//barntekadmin

Home   Help Search gallery Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: RSS Feeds  (Read 3033 times)
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2010, 04:53:58 AM »

I'm not sure if you were aware of this but our Bulletin generates RSS feeds if you want to use them...I was playing around with it this evening and it works on my Thunderbird Email App...Every time someone posts something new to the bulleting board it shows up in my subscription folder for Balloon Collaboration...if you're interested, I can post the URL that I'm using (show the last 5 newest posts from the active boards)...Just a feature that we had all along and I never knew   Grin
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 10:22:54 PM »

I downloaded FeedReader and installed it here and it downloaded the last 5 entries to the bbs...
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 03:39:51 AM »

Pretty cool! that should be configurable too..(last 10, only the first posts in new topics, etc)...I put the max characters for the feeds to 512...it was defaulted to 256 and every one was chopped short...of course, that is to get you to come to the bulletin board and read the entire posting I suppose
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 05:53:42 PM »

Well, I changed my feed reader.  I found 'SharpReader'  and it seems to be a better reader.  It has a few more features that are adjustable.  I have seen the RSS symbol on IE but didn't have a clue as to what it was.  I have been using the 'Notify' option on the bbs to let me know when someone had written to a particular subject, but, as I understand this, it will notify you of any additions to any place in the bbs.  Is that right?   Huh
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 03:47:21 AM »

Yes I think that's right...the article on the simplemachinesforum website has a list of all the options you can use so that you can tweak it exactly like you want...

I hadn't used the notify feature, maybe that's like a reverse RSS ?
Larry
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 05:12:48 AM »

I found a 'fix' on the web that changes the update rate for my blog page from every 12 hours to every 30 minutes.  This is a test post to see if it works.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: