Balloon Collaboration
September 21, 2019, 01:16:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: DaddyB, Larry and Dan are your administrators...Private message for any problems or issues with the Forum//barntekadmin

Home   Help Search gallery Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Moon Pics  (Read 8558 times)
Larry
Administrator

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2009, 02:12:46 AM »

Hey, I uploaded my pics to this site so I could give you the Whole Pics...  

A couple are of Jupiter and the rest, the moon.
 Pic 1
 Pic 2
 Pic 3
 Pic 4
 Pic 5
 Pic 6

***Links updated - replies below have been modified to reflect the current pics ***
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 04:55:01 AM by DaddyB » Logged
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 03:24:33 AM »

Wow!  Did you work out which moons are in the pic on Pic12 Pic2??
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 11:28:19 PM by Larry » Logged
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 04:09:53 AM »

Those are really good.
Picture #19 #1 shows one of the bands of Jupiter very plain!
Good job!!  Cool
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 11:30:28 PM by Larry » Logged
Larry
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 11:11:44 PM »

Thanks...  No I haven't tried to figure out which moons those are.  

That Pic#19 Pic#1 was taken with the ISO (film speed) set to 100 and the shutter REALLY fast.

My legs are killing me today from squatting and looking thru the telescope...  hehe
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 11:31:28 PM by Larry » Logged
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 05:41:58 PM »

Ok assuming that you posted the pictures almost immediately after you took them, the moon nearest jupiter in pic 12 2 is actually 2 moons (If you imagine really hard it even looks a little oblong in the big size pic) ... Io and Callisto were almost on top of each other, very close together...The on very far away and on the same side of jupiter as the Io/Callisto blob is Ganymede and the one on the other side of jupiter is Europa...

I used this to figure it out...it's a little clunky and not very intuitive but you can figure it out after playing with it a little bit...
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 11:32:16 PM by Larry » Logged
Larry
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 05:55:43 PM »

Cool...   and the "star" to the right and above MAY be Neptune...

and I used this link to figure that...

BTW,  I did post these about an hours after taking the pics...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 05:58:31 PM by Larry » Logged
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 02:20:24 AM »

I used 'Stary Night Pro' and plugged in 12/28/2009 and ran the time from about 6:00 to 7:30 and Io didn't show up.  But the program could be off some.
I checked where Neptune was at that time and it was on the Ganymede side of Jupiter and quite a bit further away. This object is on the Europa side.   I think what we are seeing (according to Starry night pro) is a star named 'Mu Capricorni magnitude 5.06.  Ganymede's magnitude is 5.15, and in the picture they show about the same brightness.  The magnitude of Neptune is 7.95, quite a bit dimmer.

But, I could be wrong....    Undecided
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 02:22:46 AM by DaddyB » Logged
Larry
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 03:06:37 PM »

Yeah, you could be wrong...  but I doubt it...  I think I was hopeing more than anything... Smiley

DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 11:41:09 PM »

I checked out my web cam for the telescope the other night and am gonna try to see if I can take some pics with it.  I would like to try Jupiter but it has just about moved too far to the West.  The trees are in the way.
I don't think it will do very much with stars etc. because of the low light levels.
I may try it tonight.  It is still clear but I know the clouds are on the way....   Sad
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2010, 05:23:28 AM »

Try some of the Messier objects...you have the software to merge the images all together, if you don't have a 'guide star' reticle, you can take a bunch of shots of the same area and merge them into one image...but wait, you have the new 'scope...I'm thinking of your homemade dobs...your new scope and tripod should be able to track for a good long shot...Good Luck, I can't wait to see them
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 05:29:54 AM »

In anticipation, I've created a folder for you on the website for the photogallery:

ftp.barntek.net/coppermine/albume/astrophotography/daddyb

Let me know when you've posted some up and I'll get them into the photo gallery
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 03:55:34 PM »

Ok, will do.  Early next week promises to be mostly clear.
M43, the Orion nebula, is rising in the East now, so may try that one.
The cold weather is not good for the 'telescope operator' though, ha ha..  Grin
I viewed some astro photography videos on 'youtube' last night and saw a few
using the web cam, so know it is possible.
When we get that  working, will try to get what is needed to try out the Cannon camera.
Larry
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 04:39:53 PM »

The Photo Gallery looks good...  but, you say that comments on the photos are welcome, but the only way to comment on a photo is to log in...  and, there is no way for the general public to register... 

I went in and created my on user account, but didn't enable registration because I wasn't sure if it was diabled intentionally or if it was an oversight. Undecided
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 05:45:40 PM »

Ahhh, you know, I just threw that photo gallery on and never fooled around with it except to try and figure out how to upload pics...I've always just used the admin login because that's the only way you can 'batch' add photots...Time to start reading up again I guess...hahaha

I'll post what I find out about it...
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 03:29:17 AM »

Today I ordered a T-Ring, T-Ring adapter and Tele extender.   The Tele Extender allows you to take photos via the eyepiece optics.  Good for planetary and moon pics.
Hopefullyl, tomorrow night I can setup and use the web cam some.  If I get some good pics, will post them.  Aaaaand it is s'posed to be a low of only 24 tomorrow night!!   Grin
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: