Balloon Collaboration
February 23, 2020, 04:15:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: DaddyB, Larry and Dan are your administrators...Private message for any problems or issues with the Forum//barntekadmin

Home   Help Search gallery Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: XAMPP Server  (Read 1631 times)
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2009, 04:34:37 AM »

I downloaded a local server tonite...Xampp...it is an apache web server with all kinds of stuff included like perl and php support...First of all I installed it wrong, it wanted to install to the root of C:\ so I pointed it to a 'xampp' folder...well when it unpacked itself, it created another xampp folder so it got installed in the xampp\xampp folder (duh!) ... when it finished though, I got a box saying that something didn't look right to the app and could it fix...I said ok and it re-did all the pointers so it was looking at c:\xampp\xampp...Wow! next problem was I couldn't find the home folder for the apache server...I put a couple of html files in a couple of places and finally (arrgh!) read the readme.txt file...Sure enough, right there on the first page it told me where the home directory was...duh again!...So to make a long story not quite so long, I dropped my php work into the folder and started working...I fixed a couple problems in my menu.php file and then converted the home page over to php...I uploaded it and it worked first time...I like my new localhost server  Grin  I know the homepage looks exactly the same (that's the idea) but the file is a lot smaller and the menu at the top is created and modified by the server on the fly...
Next project is to get the Balloon2009 menu activated (with a submenu for the accelerometer data) and put into service...Should be easy now that I have the hard stuff written..   Wink
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 12:30:15 AM »

One thing I did this weekend was to set up a local server for development...I started Apache and MySql and also FileZilla (FTP server) on my computer...Mary was on the computer most of the day Sunday, but I was still able to link to my local server from my laptop and test stuff locally, without posting tweaks up to the web site for testing...once they look good on the local server, I can FTP the new files up on the web site for general consumption.  The cool thing is xampp comes with the apps they use up on our Hosting server...Apache web server and MySql database server...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: