Balloon Collaboration
December 10, 2019, 10:49:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hosting for barntek.net has been extended for another 3 years

Home   Help Search gallery Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Radiation Counter  (Read 17585 times)
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2010, 01:41:44 AM »

The Geiger Counter is finally recording to the eeprom!!   Grin
Today, I ran the program recording in increments of 10 seconds (instead of the normal 30).  It started at 10:10:02 and I stopped it at 17:00:12; over 6 hours of recording @ one every 10 seconds.
It recorded 2460 lines of data.  Everything looks good.
I don't expect to have that many lines of data at 30 seconds per line.

Software:  Gcounter Writer  

EEprom Reader

« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 01:57:14 AM by DaddyB » Logged
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2010, 03:48:43 AM »

Great News! This is gonna be REALLY interesting!! Posting all this and the weather data will be fun...I should probably start working on the 2010 flight page Smiley
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2010, 04:22:33 AM »

Time is really moving fast.  I was beginning to think that I would have to transmit everything by RF!  Larry helped me lots.  I was starting to be a pest, calling him so much.
I took your advice and recorded the data in Hex, so, it only takes 8 bytes per line.  After all the fretting over pointers, I found that I didn't need to use them after all..... whew!   Tongue
Larry
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2010, 11:19:20 PM »

Hey, you weren't being a pest...  You were giving me a chance to show off a little...  hehe   Glad you got it.
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2010, 04:23:33 AM »

Grin  Grin  Larry showed me how to use the PIC eeprom for text items that gobbled up lots of variable memory, so I have changed the Utility program to utilize that.  I think this is the final (?) version.  I now have four menu items: Read Real Time Clock, Set Real Time Clock, Read the EEprom, and Erase the EEprom.  They all seem to be working very well.

I did some calculations on the number of records we could record on the low side of the EEprom memory and it came out to about 8191 records at 8 bytes per record.  That comes out to about 68 hours of recording at 30 seconds per record. (if my calculations are right.. )  Huh

So, now I am thinking that I may stop recording after about 3 hours.
Does anyone disagree?

This is the Utility source code as  it stands now...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 03:10:17 AM by DaddyB » Logged
Larry
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2010, 12:25:11 PM »

I don't see a problem with stopping after 3 hours, although it wouldn't hurt anything to allow it to keep running until the balloon is recovered.  Another option is to drop your recording interval from 30 seconds to, say, 10 seconds.  That would drop it down to 22 hours that it would record.  Another other option is to write more info to the eeprom.  Instead of limiting yourself to 8 bytes per record, expand it to 16 bytes or 32 bytes.

You have plenty of room to play with, and the PIC and the EEProm don't care what you do with it.  You just don't have to limit yourself.  I still have to do some figgering to see how I want to set mine up.

Anyway, I am glad you got it going and I am glad I could help.  Your code looks good. Too bad I can't follow it very well... Wink   If anyone is interested, here is my Source Code for my Dump 2.3 program and the eeprom .eed file to go with it.
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2010, 02:02:14 AM »

I think I am about ready to hardwire the project.  This is getting kinda complex for these old tired eyes and hands.
So, I am thinking of designing a PC board and having it built like the board for the Simplex repeater.

I have just finished the schematic diagram but haven't completely checked it for errors.

The schematic is in jpg format and is located HERE.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 02:06:19 AM by DaddyB » Logged
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2010, 04:40:24 PM »

Wow! I'm impressed...Even I can follow THAT schematic!! Smiley
Larry
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2010, 11:42:12 PM »

Hey, I added a MENU to my site called Balloon Projects.  That is where I am detailing my work on the Wx Station for the balloon.  The regular posts called Balloon Project is where I am posting kind of a day to day activity of what I am working on and how it is coming, but the Menu Item is where I am posting the finalized information.  Check it out and see what you think.

DaddyB, under the Balloon Projects/Schematics menu, I have my schematic info if you wanna do anything with it.   I think it is accurate enough.

Larry's Daily Doodles
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2010, 04:45:48 AM »

Larry,
I looked at it and looks good.  I'll look closer when I get finished with my PCB.  I am about half way through with mine.  Your new section on 'Balloon Projects' looks very good.  Lotza info there.

Here's the link to http://www.expresspcb.com/

Larry
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2010, 11:59:07 AM »

Thanks... Grin
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2010, 03:09:32 AM »

The PC Board has been ordered.  The first one I worked up looked like a spider's web, so I scrapped it and started over.  It costs extra, but I ordered the board with the silk screen overlay to make it easier to stuff.  This particular option gets you 3 boards.

I have included the .pcb file here.  You must have the "ExpressPCB" software to view the file.  
You can download their FREE software here: Express PCB

This is the circuit.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 01:32:03 PM by DaddyB » Logged
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2010, 02:43:01 AM »

Ok.  I feel better now!!  I have been concerned about over writing the EEprom once it gets filled with data.  After Larry's experience last year with the weather station and it overwriting the good data it collected in flight, I wanted to make sure that didn't happen to the radation counter.  Larry has fixed his program so that when it gets to the end of the memory it will stop recording.
I went at it a little differently, kinda cheated  Grin .  Since I am recording a count of each record, I determined how many records my eeprom will hold (8191.875 ) and wrote an 'if' statement that will cause the program to stop when it reaches 8190 records.
Then to test things. I started the program last night, recording a record every 10 secs and it ran for a little over 22 hours and stopped!!

8190 records is a little overkill for an approx 90 minute flight but there it is.

Am waiting for the PC boards to arrive (sked to arrive Apr 13).  Then we can get this thing off the breadboard and on to something solid.   Cheesy
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 01:39:53 PM by DaddyB » Logged
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2010, 10:32:41 PM »

The 'boards arrived as skeduled and have been wired and tested.  Grin
A few minor things to do, like Power Pole connectors etc...

Pictures

1. Everything hooked up
2. Circuit board
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 01:38:47 PM by DaddyB » Logged
Larry
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2010, 10:00:12 PM »

Wow!  That looks really professional.  I hope mine comes out that good.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: