Balloon Collaboration
January 29, 2020, 11:22:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hosting for barntek.net has been extended for another 3 years

Home   Help Search gallery Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Radiation Counter  (Read 18545 times)
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 01:01:04 AM »

Photons can be either a particle or wave....   Grin
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 01:08:09 AM »

I found a place on the web that sells uranium samples for $17.00 ea plus postage, that will show a count of about 6000 per minute.
I haven't decided yet whether to order it.
It would be nice to be able to show some larger numbers on the PIC counter.  Will let y'all know what I decide.    Undecided
Larry
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 02:53:15 AM »

We could experiment...  Measure the radiation of the uranium...  then enrich it and compare the different reading...  There is so much more you can do with enriched uranium. Wink
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 03:14:18 AM »

I Don't even want to go there!!!
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2009, 04:44:35 AM »

The ore is ordered.
Ordered from 'United Nuclear Scientific'
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2009, 02:45:37 AM »

Larry, I assume you want everything, ie. zig, Geiger counter running at 4800 baud.
I had some bad thoughts about trying to get 4800 from the pic because that number is not referenced in the data sheet.  But after some reading and calculations, I have the geiger counter running at 4800 and does not seem any different from the 9600.

Larry
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2009, 03:23:11 AM »

Right now I am running at 4800, but that is only because the GPSII that I am using is running there.  If I tap into the GPS that Danny used, it may be at 9600.  That may be better, my code will keep up.  Keep it flexable, because I have set anything definate yet.  I haven't been messing around with it much, lately.  Will get back on it probably soon after new years.
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2009, 02:44:31 AM »

Who Ray!  The ore sample arrived today and it has proved to be a good way to check out the system.
Here are some photos of the project, so far:
1. This is the bread board of the lash up with the RM-60 geiger counter in the back ground.

2. The Uranium ore sample in its plastic bag (where it will stay for safety's sake).

3. Ore Sample's Home.

4.  18 minutes of data. 1-4 = Back Ground Count,  5-16 Reading Ore Sample, 17-18 Back Ground Count.

The BT shown in the data is Primary Battery Voltage.  130 = 13.0 volts DC

« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 05:34:07 AM by DaddyB » Logged
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2009, 04:33:07 AM »

Wow! I'm impressed...this data is gonna be VERY interesting....WAY COOL!  Smiley
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2009, 05:54:06 AM »

This is the Source Code for the PIC microcontroller.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 05:56:17 AM by DaddyB » Logged
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2010, 05:45:16 AM »

I have started to add code to enable a Real Time Clock.  Was able to copy and paste code from another project that had the RTC, ie. the zig meter.  That sure makes life easier.  I have the bread board all hooked up now but I still need to set up the clock chip.
Once the RTC is up and running, I will be ready to try to incorporate the EEPROM.  Maybe I'll be ready by June...  Grin
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2010, 06:29:19 PM »

So the EEPROM will hold the mission data until it gets back down to the ground, right?  I understand that we've scratched the 'telemetry stream' project, will we be xmitting any data realtime on the 2010 flight?
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2010, 10:03:14 PM »

Yes, we will be recording the Radiation data on board.  I haven't decided about the zig meter, but we can do like we did last year.  That seemed pretty successful.  I am open to suggestions.
I have the RTC running now and showing via rs232 on Hyper terminal.  As it appears, now, I am showing frame number, Time (24hr mode), 30 second radiation( this can be 60 second if we need it), and battery voltage.

I plan to study Larry's software to see how to address and write to the EEprom and get started on the software soon.

BTW, were you going to send the video cam?  If so, I can begin to construct a housing to keep it from bouncing around inside or just email the deminsions and I can get started on it soon.

Also, I have checked out the tracker bag, and I don't think it will survive another flight.  So, we need to come up with another one.  I have a large styrofoam box with 3/4 inch thick sides, but I don't really want to have to sew anaother cover.  That was quite a chore!!  This might be a project for someone who likes to sew?   Huh
If we use another bag like the last one, we can shorten up the link lines.  That may take some of the stress off the bag itself.

We need another science experiment to send up, but I can't think of anything.  The seed experiment was a good one and turned out very well, I thought
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 10:24:25 PM by DaddyB » Logged
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2010, 10:33:49 PM »

Finally worked out the code for using Timer0 to count the seconds from the RTC.  At first, I had programed 30 seconds for it to count the radiation, but I kept getting a 60 second count.  When I programmed in 15 seconds I would get 30 seconds.  Then I discovered that the prescailer in Timer0 is always on, (I Think  Huh) and as set up, was working as a divide by 2 counter. So, I did a multiply by 2 on the count variable and now it works right!!

Next, is the hardest part, (for me).  Get the EEprom working.      Tongue
barntekadmin
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2010, 01:39:31 AM »

Last night I got the EEprom to working.  My brain doesn't learn this stuff and easily as in times past.  I haven't worked out all the snags yet but at least the pic and EEprom are talking to each other.  When I get some more bugs worked out will post the 'C' code on here....     Undecided
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: