Balloon Collaboration
December 15, 2019, 01:43:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: DaddyB, Larry and Dan are your administrators...Private message for any problems or issues with the Forum//barntekadmin

Home   Help Search gallery Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding to the Web site..  (Read 10163 times)
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 02:17:34 AM »

The guts of the photo gallery is done...I've uploaded it and it works ok...It 'globs' the files in the directory you give it and then puts them on a web page...a small javascript opens a window and shows a bigger version of the pic when you click on the picture...

Right now, they're all thrown in together but I want to eventually figure out a way that we can categorize the pics in different folders so it makes a little more sense to whoever is viewing them...
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 05:32:40 AM »

OK I have the new photo gallery up and running...I don't have it linked to the menu yet, but you can check it out at pics.barntek.net (or photos.barntek.net, or gallery.barntek.net) I'm still learning how to work it ... Have a look around it and tell me (honestly) what you think, they have two more I can choose from if you don't like this one...Also, the whole design can be changed fairly easily, go to the designer's web page and go to the Demo...it has about 250 odd "Themes" that you can use for the outward design of the app...If you find one you really like, we'll use it...I'll post instructions on how to upload pics and stuff when I get a good handle on how it works...

PS the photo gallery that I wrote was so bad I immediately took it down tonite...
Larry
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 11:20:29 AM »

I like it...  it is really fast, which was the one complaint I had about the old one.  I haven't looked at any of the other themes, but I don't have a problem with this one.
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 01:19:22 PM »

I like this.  It is much faster.  If you would like, I can upload some from the balloon that have been cropped.  Looks like you are using 800x600 size.  I'll resize them before I send them.
Cheryl
Family

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2009, 02:47:05 PM »

Ok...I have read a little about wiki's.  I will have to do a lot more research on that.  I do have an idea to add to your logo.  I will work on that and send it to you for your approval/disapproval.
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 09:42:26 PM »

Whew! Ok a few things for this one...

Yes, I'm using 800x600 on the pics that I'm uploading...The gallery had fits with the original size, so I had to reduce them...I found a Microsoft PowerToy for XP (dunno if they have a version for Vista) called Image Resizer...It loads into your menu (ie right click on a pic, or selection of pics) and pick it from the menu...gives you a choice of sizes to reduce it down to or lets you custom size it...I knew there had to be a better way than loading each one individually in Photoshop and resizing it from there...

The photo gallery also keeps the pics you upload in special directory, or directory tree and I think it uses the original uploads to show the larger version of the pics...I will create some folders up there to keep them organized (balloon2007, balloon2008 etc with appropriate subdirs) but as you upload, please add more subdirectories as you see fit...Once the pics are uploaded, let me know and I can batch add them to the gallery...I will get you guys admin access so you can do the batch add as well...normal users can only upload a couple at a time...Then the time consuming part comes when you start captioning and describing them..Oh and the upload folders are located under /coppermine/albums/...  I have one folder there now that I created before I really knew what was going on with it called "batch_up" but it turns out that it contains photos from the balloon looking up..hahaha

I will post here when I get the folders set up...
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2009, 04:12:42 AM »

I just downloaded an image resize program (Free!) for Vista.  It works really well.
It is not a seperate program, but is incorporated in microsoft image programs such as MS Picture Manager.

Here is where I found it: Click Here
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 01:58:30 AM »

Thanks...this one will work on my laptop...these are gonna make it so much easier to upload the pics for the gallery, I was dreading having to change them one by one...Anyway, I have the basic pic folders created...If anybody wants to volunteer to help label the pics let me know...
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2009, 01:26:39 AM »

If you want, I'll upload some of the pictures from the balloon with the instrument package cropped out.
There are also some nice cropped photos taken horizontally that I can upload.  I guess I need to rename them.
That resize routine is almost better than the invention of the wheel... ha ha..
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2009, 04:14:30 AM »

I have uploaded some pictures for the 'prep' of the 09 flight.  See if you like them.  You can erase the ones you don't want.
I will start on some 'flight' pics later. Smiley
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2009, 05:21:16 PM »

Great! I'll import them this morning...Thanks for uploading them!   Grin
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2009, 02:00:59 AM »

I added a link to BarnTek from my website today.  Smiley
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2009, 12:20:07 AM »

I noticed that the 2009 mission page was getting some overlap at the top (on my browser) so I moved some of the text boxes around so they wouldn't be underneath the pictures, but it started domino-ing and I'd move one and have to move another...I think I have it now, though...if you notice something like that happening, let me know and I'll work on fixing it...let me know what browser you're using when you see it because some browsers show pages differently...I'm trying to stay away from programming the stuff to be browser specific (if IE, show it this way, if Firefox, show it that way...) but I'll learn how to do it if I have to...
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2009, 12:56:07 AM »

I noticed that some of the text was offset but I thought it was my browser.  I set up the page using Front Page 2003.  I think I set it up for a too-wide page which looked ok on my browser but didn't think about how it might look on another computer.
Everything looks great now all of the text is where it is supposed to be.
BTW, I am running IE-8 here.
I have some close up photos of modifying the camera for control by the microcontloller, and thought I would put them up on a page on wiki.  Is that where it should go, or should I upload them to the galery?

Everything looks so very good!!
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2009, 01:02:30 AM »

I would say wiki for now...Or both...Wiki would have the whole writeup and explanation while the photo gallery only gets a small caption
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: