Balloon Collaboration
October 22, 2017, 12:02:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hosting for barntek.net has been extended for another 3 years

Home   Help Search gallery Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tracking Page  (Read 1140 times)
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« on: May 27, 2015, 04:28:55 AM »

I've started building a tracking page on the web site.  This will allow people without access to APRS to track the balloon in near real-time.  The page will display a map (Google Maps) with a pin denoting the balloon's position and an information window will be available (by clicking on the pin) providing the balloon's geographical position, time, altitude, speed and direction.  The page will refresh itself every minute so all you have to do it access the website on your iphone or android and drive to where the balloon is.  That's the plan anyway.  If you want to check on the progress, it's at www.barntek.net/tracking.  I will provide a link via the menu once I get it up and running.

I was thinking I would bring the setup to the launch site since it would be closer to the landing site and may be able to get more tracking positions than from my house. 

Larry: do you have power for a radio, tnc and Pi near an internet hookup?
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 08:38:41 PM »

The web page on the server is up and running.  It's pulling it's information from a small text file, but it's test data so while I did make it point to the actual launch site, the rest of the numbers are made up. I'll be working on having the Pi build the file and ftp it up automatically the rest of the day.  Once that's done, you will probably see me walking around my yard while I'm testing.  When I'm done testing, I will re-park the marker back at the launch site.

Please look at it and let me know if the zoom level is ok.  I chose that particular one because you can see the names of the smaller roads and that would be handy when we're chasing.  You can use the zoom controls to go in or out but it will revert to the original zoom level every time the page reloads.  I plan to have it auto-reload every 60 seconds, so that should be ample time for someone wanting to zoom in or out to check where they are in relation to the balloon.

Next thing is if you have a smart phone, could you load up the site and see how it translates.  It looked ok on my iPad but I'm thinking I will probably want to remove the Barntek header across the top on the smaller screens. 
Larry
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 09:18:43 PM »

Yeah, I actually have a Pi set up in the shop, with a wifi dongle looking out the window talking back to the house. This pi also has a TNC connected to it and a radio and currently running a APRS tracking app.  

I set you up and account on the Pi if you want to FTP your software to it to see how well it works on a live system.  Let me know if you are going to and I will stop the program I am running.  It probably has the ttyAMA0 tied up.  You will need access to that if you want to read from the TNC.

The TNC is set up on device /dev/ttyAMA0 and is talking at 19200 baud 8N1.

You can just ftp to barnpi.hopto.org port 21 - username n4osb and password is the same as the Barntek site.
You can also ssh n4osb@barnpi.hopto.org - same password, if needed.

This Pi is currently serving up a video feed from the shop to this page:
http://barnpi.hopto.org/index1.html

I think the wifi link should be good enough for what you are wanting to do.

###  I also gave you sudo privileges on the Pi.  If you need anything else, let me know ###
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 10:13:35 PM by Larry » Logged
Larry
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 01:04:30 AM »

The page looks pretty good on my phone, as long as I leave it Profile.  If I turn it Landscape, the header takes up about half my screen.
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 11:23:16 PM »

Ok, should work in landscape now too
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 10:58:08 PM »

Ok, got my new GPS (which works fine btw) and finished the coding to pass data to the tracking server.  It actually looks pretty good.  I was moving the tracking package around the yard and then I could compare where the package actually was in comparison to where it was reporting itself by zooming in and clicking on the satellite imaging.  Most tracks were within 20 feet of the actual position.  I can upload the software to Larry's pi but I'll need to bring the tracking package up so we can test it, right?

I will continue to park the tracking page back at Larry's when I finish testing
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: