Balloon Collaboration
January 29, 2020, 09:54:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: DaddyB, Larry and Dan are your administrators...Private message for any problems or issues with the Forum//barntekadmin

Home   Help Search gallery Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: RS-232 (UART) on the Pi  (Read 1350 times)
Larry
Administrator

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2013, 05:21:08 PM »

Ok, I now have the Adafruit breakout board for the pi assembled and hooked up.  The board breaks out the Rx and Tx lines of the serial port for easy access.  On the standard disk image, this serial port is set up as a console terminal, thru which you can talk to the pi just like in the LXTerminal window.  Really cool.

The communication is done via 3.3v signals, so will not communicate directly with a PC, so I used a MAX332 chip to convert the 3.3v to the +/- 10v required by the PC.  This is the chip that needs no external capacitors and will work with 3.3v.

They say it will work with puTTY, but I use a program called Termite.

The settings I use is: Com3 115200 bps, 8N1, no handshaking.  Obviously, you would use whichever com port you have on your pc.

I played with this for a while, and it was cool, but I had to disable the console so I could use the port as a standard comm port for my own use.  I will post how on another topic.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 08:59:30 PM by Larry » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: