Balloon Collaboration
December 15, 2019, 02:08:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hosting for barntek.net has been extended for another 3 years

Home   Help Search gallery Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SD Card Tip/Trick  (Read 3400 times)
Larry
Administrator

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2012, 08:57:11 PM »

If you are wanting to try several different setups, but only have one good card to play with, I found that the win32DiskImager program that is used to burn the images to the SD Card, will also save the image from the card to your harddrive.

I have started experimenting with it, so I don't have any absolute proof, but it looks like you can get your RasPi set up how you want it, then remove the SD Card and stick it in your PC, then run that Win32DiskImager.  Give it a file name where you want it to save it, and select Read instead of write and it will create an image of the SD Card.

Once that is done, you should be able to reburn the SD Card to what ever you want.  Then, when you wanna go back, just reburn the card back to the saved image.  It should work.  I will let you know what I find out.  I already have 2 different images saved. 
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 04:50:38 AM »

I may have to try that out when I get some extra cards....   Grin
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 06:57:40 PM »

I tried reading the SD card and it reads it and creates the file.  However, the file it creates is slightly larger than the 8gb SD card that I was planning to write to.  So I am wondering if when we ran the Rpi for the first time and we expanded the partition, is the image of the whole SD card?  If so, then we need to change it back to the smaller partition.... (I think) Undecided
Larry
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 09:29:56 PM »

Yeah, when I did it (on 2 different installs), I had it expand the partition.  Because of that, the image is of the whole 8Gig.  My image files came out just under 8 Gig, but I was able to reinstall the image with no problem.  Sometimes, the way the file size gets reported isn't overly accurate.  I will play around soon with trying to Zip the image to see if I can compress it any for storage.  If we can pack it small enuff, maybe we can start posting different images that each other can try out.
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »

I installed some stuff that I didn't like on the card, and not knowing how to un-install it, I decided to rewrite the OS.  I used the image that I had made before and on the Sony, it worked just fine.  So guess all 8gb cards are not the same size.  I had reformated the other card, and I am wondering if windows put some stuff that wasn't on the Sony....?  Hmmmm.....   Huh
Larry
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 12:10:45 AM »

I don't know..  I ran into the same deal.  I bought a couple of San Disk 8gig sd cards, and they seem to have just a few bytes less space than the sony did.  I tried reformatting them different ways, but it made no difference.
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 04:29:44 AM »

I reformatted the card in FAT32 and thought that it might have been the problem but have reformatted in NTFS and have the same problem.  I guess a different card might be the answer.  I will have to find some more Sony's....
Larry
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 01:09:08 PM »

yeah, I just started over with the new SanDisks..  Their images should fit on both disks...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: