Balloon Collaboration
December 10, 2019, 09:42:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hosting for barntek.net has been extended for another 3 years

Home   Help Search gallery Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Directional Stabalizing the payload  (Read 3684 times)
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« on: January 22, 2011, 05:36:41 AM »

I had an interesting conversation with Wayne King this week.  He was suggesting that we could aim the payload (camera) by maybe installing  an electric motor and propeller on a boom attached to the payload, similar to the directional control for a helicopter.  Being a DC motor, it could be operated in two directions.  My thoughts are, that it would be effective at the lower altitudes but how would it work at the top, since the air at that alt is very thin....  If it did work, you could monitor the direction it faced with Larry's compass module....  Just something else to think about on these cold days.... Huh
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 01:45:27 AM »

True.. I had thought about a valve and tubing connected to a 2 liter coke bottle and use air jets to for directional stablization...Actually propellers will still work (though I imagine not very efficiently) because the 'solar powered flying wing' reached 96,863 ft and it's totally propeller (and solar battery) driven...Turn ratios, ie rpm of the propeller vs. amount of correction, will change I'm sure as the air gets thinner...It would be interesting to try
Larry
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 05:41:16 AM »

This almost sounds like a practical application for our old 'Sun Tracker' project.  With the PID controller and the compass module mounted to the camera module, all you would have to do is decide what bearing you wanted the camera to point, assertain the bearing it IS pointing, and use that error to determine which direction and how much the prop needed to turn.  If you had a strong enuff battery and effecient enuff prop, it shouldn't matter about the air density because the controller would be activly monitoring the reaction of the camera via the compass.

Sounds good in theory, anyway... Wink

P.S. I am working on reviving my web blog site ( http://larry.barntek.net ) and plan to, soon, start again on balloon projects.  i still need to get all my stuff to work on Win7.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 05:43:06 AM by Larry » Logged
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 05:33:38 AM »

Your NEW site looks great!!  Hope you get all the stuff working on Win7....
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 11:59:04 PM »

I'm sure you have already checked it, but, could the problem be from being inside the house?  Maybe interference from other electrical stuff inside the house?   Sorry about W7 not working.  Guess they haven't written the software for W7 yet.  Ugggggg!
Larry
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 05:10:47 AM »

Well, the protoboard is kinda bulky and tied to the computer via the rs232 cable.  So....  I need to order an LCD display and get it portable so I can Calibrate it properly and see what it can really do.  I may make up an order tomorrow.  I have made up the order 2 or 3 times before, but canceled before I actually ordered.  hehe
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 01:44:27 PM by Larry » Logged
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 01:41:15 PM »

If you want to use the LCD display that I have, You are welcome to try it....   It uses RS232 input or can be configured to run straight from the PIC.  I have used it both ways.  If you run it straight from the PIC, you save using a chip and a handful of caps.....    Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: