Balloon Collaboration
January 29, 2020, 09:54:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: barntek.com is now part of the BarnTek information network...Currently redirected to barntek.net

Home   Help Search gallery Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Spambots...  (Read 6264 times)
Larry
Administrator

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2009, 02:40:56 PM »

Hey,  I logged in this morning and saw we were hit by a Spambot last night.  From around midnight 'til around 8 this morning, it registered, logged in, and posted 16 new spam topics right here in the General Discussion. Shocked  Thankfully it was only online gambling and not something worse.  I deleted all the posts (they were basically just lists of links to gambling places they were advertising), and I banned the poster.  I left him registered in case you wanted to look at the reg info.  I created a new membergroup with zero (0) permissions called "DontLikeEms".  I was going to assign the poster to this group, but couldn't figure out how. Huh  I am going to leave it up to Dan the Man Admin to delete the registrastion if he wants to. 

I also tightened up regestration some in hopes to curtail future attemps.

What I did was a quick attempt at a bandaid to try to help until Dan the Man can fix it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 07:02:54 PM by Larry » Logged
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 05:19:04 PM »

Angry  Arrgh!  I read about them and I think there are some tools that come with the forum package that will deal with them...I'll read up and see what can be done...Thanks much for taking care of it...
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 05:37:45 PM »

Those registration changes were right on the mark...Thanks for doing that...the bot is mad at us now and is hitting the server twice about every 6 minutes...I'll reset the log and see how long he keeps at it...
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 02:30:25 AM »

Well, he's changed his login name but the ban is recognizing his IP address and keeping him at bay (so far)...I'm cleaning out the Ban Logs every day, he's filling about 6 or 7 pages in 24 hours..It's just logging each time he hits, so go ahead and delete the logs if you think about it during the day...I found a site that tracks spambots and provides a script that will intercept new login and compare them (name and IP) against their spambot database before allowing or disallowing creation of a new account...I haven't put it on because as often as this guy is hitting our forum, I don't know how much it will slow stuff down..If we get any more, we might think about adding the script to our logon/registration routine...
Larry
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 11:04:57 AM »

Sounds good...  I will keep an eye out....
sillykay
Family

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 12:53:01 PM »

I was on yesterday and first thing this morning and the spambot was on here too. I think ya'll got to him before I saw anything posted.

Shiela B
Larry
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 09:10:53 PM »

I cleared out the ban log today, but notice that the forum error log is gettinbg quite full.  Didn't know if you wanted that cleared out or not so I left it for you to  clear out as you see fit.

Looks like we would have had a mess on our hand if we hadn't got him banned when we did.  I wonder if he even realizes he has been banned.  Seems to be an automatic sort of thingy. Smiley
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 12:58:53 AM »

Whew! Thanks for the heads up...593 pages of error logs...I cleared them out...
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 04:37:38 AM »

Looks like it is up to 5 pages again.  You would think that think could find something better to do than harass us!!
I wonder if there is a way to ban it from the logs?
DaddyB
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 01:32:18 PM »

I'm saying this with a whisper, but I don't think the spambot was working all weekend.....   Lips sealed
Larry
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 09:04:52 PM »

Looks like he started again at Midnight last night and tried until noon today.  He is using a different IP address, now.  So I updated the ban.  Maybe he will give up soon. Angry
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 03:34:25 AM »

Hmmm, only 12 hours...I cleaned out the ban log
Dan
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2009, 12:35:16 AM »

No log entries for a couple of days now...  Smiley
Larry
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2009, 01:53:02 AM »

I am scared to say it, but maybe he has moved on...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: